May is Masturbation Month! In this blog, we are talking about the benefits of self-pleasure and tuning into your natural desires. (As your time, energy and libido permit, of course.)
Self-pleasure, AKA masturbation, is traditionally considered a “taboo” topic, no matter what part of the globe you reside in. However, masturbation is a completely normal and healthy aspect of human sexuality that has more benefits than experiencing physical orgasmic bliss. Despite this, many people still feel embarrassed or ashamed about the act of solo pleasure.
Whether you are an expert or just curious about the topic, read on to discover three benefits of masturbation, an often understood vehicle for self-love and sexual expression.
Can masturbation help with creativity?
If the creative process is a part of your life, whether personally or professionally, you likely encounter natural creative blocks throughout your process. Did you know that masturbation can help clear blocks that you may experience during the creative process?
● Sexual pleasure can promote mind-body relaxation, and reduce stress and anxiety. As a result, masturbation has the potential to help free up mental space – which further enhances creative thinking and problem solving. Stress and anxiety can cause our brains to focus on immediate concerns, which eats up brain power and creative energy more than Ms. Pac Man on a mission. Stress is counterintuitive to the creative process.
● Self-pleasure is a way to explore our bodies and desires, which can lead to a stronger sense of self-love and self-acceptance. This can help us tap into our inner thoughts and emotions, and potentially inspire new creative ideas.
● Masturbation itself is a personal, intimate and creative experience. Exploring different techniques or fantasies can be a way to stimulate the imagination, and potentially inspire creativity in other areas of life. Studies have shown that engaging in regular solo sexual pleasure can be a healthy and potentially beneficial aspect of general wellness, and creativity.
“Can masturbation help improve relationship communication skills?”
Exploring our sexual preferences through solo pleasure can help us gain a better understanding of our own bodies and what we like and don't like. This self-awareness can be an important foundation for healthy communication with a partner about our sexual needs and desires.
● Engaging in regular self-pleasure can help us feel more at ease with sexual topics and language in general. This can make it easier to discuss these topics with a partner as well. Masturbation can also be a way to experiment with different techniques or fantasies, which can potentially inspire new ideas or techniques to try with a partner. By being more comfortable and confident in our own sexual expression, we may be better able to communicate our needs and desires to a partner in a clear and positive way.
● Self-pleasure can help to reduce feelings of shame or guilt that may be associated with sexual expression. This can be an important step towards building trust and intimacy in a relationship, as it allows both partners to feel more comfortable and accepting of their own sexual desires and preferences.
“Can masturbation help with stress relief?”
Prioritizing self-pleasure can be a powerful tool for stress relief. When we experience stress, our bodies release hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline, which can cause a range of physical and emotional symptoms, including muscle tension, headaches, and anxiety.
● On the flipside of hormone production, masturbation induces the release of natural “feel-good” hormones like dopamine and endorphins. When we say that orgasms are nature’s Xanax, we mean it! What a gift to have the ability to experience physical pleasure without paying a dime.
● Intentional self-pleasure grants us the “permission” to meet our own needs and desires without the pressure and expectations of others. ‘Nuff said!
● It can also help us feel more confident in our ability to manage stress. In addition to the physical benefits, prioritizing self-pleasure can also help cultivate a more positive attitude towards our own bodies and sexuality. By embracing our natural desires and giving ourselves permission to indulge in them, we can reduce feelings of shame or guilt that may contribute to stress and anxiety.
Self-pleasure is an essential aspect of whole-body health and wellness. In today's fast-paced and often stressful world, taking the time for solo sexual pleasure can help you build a stronger, healthier relationship with yourself and your own sexual identity.
By setting aside time for self-pleasure, you are affirming that your sexual health and well-being are a priority, and deserve your attention. Masturbation May is the perfect opportunity to carve out more time for self-pleasure, if you don’t already. Your body and mind will thank you for it.